Thursday, September 28

Loveland

I forgot that Campion is in Loveland, CO (or near it) . What a name of a town. I wonder how it got it's name. Was it named after a person? Or is it really a land of love? haha

Seriously though, it's reputed to be lovely, and this time of year fall colors are reputedly brilliant. Guess I'll be taking my camera not just for pics of the girls at Academy days, but the Rockies in the fall as well. Oh wow, NINE hours of driving on friday. Three Teenage girls, my mom and I all in one vehical. I do hope all our bags will fit. Hmm, we really need some guys in the 9th grade to balance out the craziness.

We do have some interesting topics discussed. Our new student is very talkative and full of questions, and the class is a lot more conversational now. I get a kick out of them. Of course I was a little shocked to hear that my ninth graders did not know what a holocost was, and one of them had only just heard a story (on Oprah no less) about what happened in the Nazi 'work camps' to the children and elderly. They are in ninth grade!

"We don't talk about the Holocost because it causes people to become racist, right Miss K?"

My jaw quite literally dropped when one of my students stated that. Where could that thought come from? I've got some work cut out for me here. I'm putting together some 'extra-curricular' lessons to broaden thier understandings.

I'm being called to come the the aid of a confused student. She's struggling with an assignment. I know she'll figure it out, just needs a little extra guidance. ;)

5 comments:

LadyBoyd said...

maybe they should read anne frank... and study the holocaust survivors website for the museum and for schindler's list (spielburg did interviews). Might be an interesting way to jump start discussions....could perhaps read Anne Frank out loud on the DRIVE to CO? turn and turn about. Would teach good elocution and outloud readin as well as help broaden understanding....

MissKate said...

lol,I was thinking about something along those lines . . . but we've already have plans for the trip up and back. But starting next week. :) I'm making a booklist and film list and . . . girl, you should teach!

flashflood said...

I did a reprot on Anne Frank during World history last year. I have tons of movies and you could even take the kids to the Anne Frank museum. I don't know exactely where its located, but I'm sure the kids will learn about it all soon. Its an interesting topic, just hard to believe it really happend. Other movies that they coul watch would be the Pianist, Anne Frank, and the history channel clips.I know what you could do. Dress up like someone might have done in the 1940's and retell a story from what you know someone might have gone through. I hope some of these ideas work out.

MissKate said...

:) that is fun to do. Dressing up for class.

I've been to an Anne Frank museum, and that's a great idea. Don't know if it is traveling near here, but I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

flashflood said...

ok then. Have fun.