Thursday, January 25

OIY! Crazy BEASTS!!!!!

All's well that ends well . . . or is it?

With all that I've seen and experiance as a teacher, or working at summer camps, and just personal relationships . . . that statement just does not ring true.

Example: Today for PE, the grades 1-4 were playing games with the parachute. Lots of fun! Listening however, is lacking today. While playing Mousetrap, one of the 4th graders, a guy who likes to make people laugh, got caught. So, while in underneath, he stuck his head through the middle hole and gave us all a cheezy grin. Caos erupts! several students are still holding the parachute waiting for the young man to come back out, but one jumps onto the shoot to walk up to the kid in the middle, pulling the chute across his neck. Another starts pulling the shoot and laughing at the kid in the middle, pulling it tighter and tighter. I told everyone "Drop the Parachute". The few who are listening do so, immediately, noticing the problem. "DROP THE CHUTE!!!!" I ended up yelling and blowing my whistle, "GET OFF! of it! AND LET GO NOW!!!" The one walking on, saunters off, not understanding, but realizing he has crossed a line because my voice was rather loud and forceful. The other student just pulls harder and harder laughing away (completely unaware, and ignoring me). I'm frantically trying to pull against him to prevent the kid in the middle from being strangled. "___________ DROP THE PARACHUTE NOW!!!" he finally lets go, and the child in the center comes out, uninjured, but knowing he was in some serious trouble. I was quaking on the inside. It is a parachute! no one should get hurt playing with it, but for some reason, these kids find ways to do so, and are just plain clueless about it. Ok, that's unfair, most of the students were aware, and several were also trying to tell the ones on and pulling to let go . . . still! Sure, all ended "well" but is all well that ended well? did it even end well? I probably over reacted following . . . I won't get into that. It wasen't that bad, but I still am a little disturbed by the whole thing!

HMPH! You'd think it was a full moon.

1 comment:

flashflood said...

wow that sounds really scary. I remember those days of the ol' parachute. I never knew there was a possible way to get hurt.

Did the kid get any type of "rope burn" on his neck? Katie, I think that any type of over reacting is only because you care. Besides.... kids will be kids, only problem is, hearing needs improvment sometimes.


I don't really know if alls well that ends well, is a good statement. Mr. Sigler (american history teacher) used that exact phrase the other day.

Hope it gets better 4 u.